No Audio in Microsoft Edge (42.17134.1.0)

marcw

Hello!
Today I found out that there is no audio to hear in Microsoft Edge browser. (the other way round works) I checked this browser the first time since ages so this issue can exist since a while. I have WCS 5.1.3546. Is the MS Edge issue a known one fixed in a later WCS version? Due to individual adjusted scripts I am cautious with WCS updates. ;)

Best regards
Marc

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
Thanks for the information. We will check your problem on test servers with your WCS version.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
We checked your problem and it was confirmed - there is no sound in Microsoft Edge when viewing the broadcast.
The problem was in the computer settings on Windows 10.
To fix sound problems:
  1. Select the Start button, select the Sound button from the list of results.
  2. Turn on the broadcast view - on the Playback tab, see which device you are using in Google Chrome, then do the same and see the device when viewing the broadcast in Windows Edge.
  3. On the Playback tab, select a device, then Set Default, which is used in Google Chrome. Or disable unused devices.

marcw

Hi Max!
Thank you for checking. But that fix is not a solution. I cannot tell my visitors that they have to manually change MS settings to use my service. Is this problem fixed in a later WCS version?

Best regards
Marc

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day, Marc.
We raised an internal ticket WCS-2063 to check and fix this issue.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day, Marc.
We fixed the issue, now audio output device selection is available in MS Edge. Please update WebSDK to build 0.5.28.2753.97 (it is compatible both with WCS 5.1 and 5.2) and check.

marcw

Here I'm again. :)
Unfortunatelly it is not working. MS Edge still does not playback the stream on the website. Also FF has that problem with the new scripts. Chrome is still working. May be you can have a look into my JS code on my server?

Best regards
Marc

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
You can try Media Devices at demo server and test a stream:

media-devices.png

As you can see, you can choose Play audio - Output to test the audio stream (right).
After that check on your server:
Code:
https://{IP address or domain name of your server}:8888/client2/examples/demo/streaming/media_devices_manager/media_device_manager.html

marcw

Hi Max!
Does it also works on Microsoft Edge (17.17134) when you test it? For me it works but I must check the box for OPUS. On your screenshot it is not checked. (that's why I ask)
Also I must change the speaker for the output to "speaker 4". For my project it is no acceptable solution to let the user find out first which speaker he has to set to hear the playback. I just need the standard audio setting where all html audio is playing in the browser.
What changed in the MS browser that this audio issue came up?

Best regards
Marc

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day, Marc.
Does it also works on Microsoft Edge (17.17134) when you test it?
Yes, we've tested it on this version (Windows 10 Pro build 1803, EdgeHTML 17.17134) with all switches set by default. There's no problem on laptops with embedded camera and mic, in this case the default speaker works. When using desktop PC with external USB camera connected, the speaker should be selected explicitly. Do you use any external USB cam in test?
Anyway, Microsoft forces users to update to a newer Windows builds (and Edge versions). If the problem is not reproduced on actual Windows build 1809 (EdgeHTML 18.17763), update can be a workaround for this.

marcw

Hi Max! Updating Windows 10 to build 1903 (MS Edge 18.18362) did the trick! Working now again in all three major browsers like a charme! Also still using the old WebSDK. I never had that good luck to solve a problem by updating Windows. Now I am on the bright side! :)
Thank you very much for your engagement to find a workaround even if I was still figuring out how I could implement it into my project! But now no need any longer.

Best regards
Marc

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Marc, it's a good news.
If you have any questions, write to us.

Last edited: