Stream getting stuck for several seconds

Azhar Ali

Hi,
We have a stream where several users are connected to, it gets stuck for several seconds and starts playing again. I have email the support with the link to the video.
Also some users it does not even start and loading icon stays on.

We are currently streaming, there is only one or two streams but several hundred users connected to it.
Can idea?

Regards
Azhar

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello
We have received your email.
Would you check this stream in default player like this
https://demo.flashphoner.com/client2/examples/demo/streaming/player/player.html
Does it work? Please provide stream name and SSH access to the server via email.
We need also step-by-step instructions how to play stream via your web-interface (login, password, url, etc).
Currently your player does not play the stream and requires authentication / sign up. Please provide valid test credentials and instructions how to test your player.

Azhar Ali

Hello Max,

Thank you for the email. Yes, I tested the player on demo site of our server and it also has the stuck behaviour and occasionally stays on the grey screen.
I have now sent the email and stream is currently live for you to have a look.
Regards
Azhar

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It may be due to encoding performance when encoding to VP8 and MPV.
If VP8 and MPV are used by subscribers not having H.264, it is recommended to lower playback resolution to e.g. 480p, so that encoder could keep up.

Azhar Ali

We stream using obs..is there anything there we can do to make a change..480p would be very low res for us to stream..server is hardly doing anything while it's on.. we can increase the memory or cup there if that would help.

I didn't understood your comment about subscriber choosing vp8..how do they make that choice?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't understood your comment about subscriber choosing vp8..how do they make that choice?
Some Chromium based browsers (Opera, Yandex etc) do not support H264 codec due to license restrictions. If no H264 codec libraries installed on client PC, they can only play VP8. When such a customer complained about it, you 've probably done something like this in your client code:
Code:
playStream = session.createStream({
...stripCodecs: "h264,H264"
}).on(STREAM_STATUS.PENDING, function (playStream) {
});
playStream.play();
this should be done depending on client browser only. You're streaming RTMP H264, so try to reduce VP8 usage. We recommend:
1. Detect client browser in JS code
2. Strip H264 codec only for browsers which do not support it (but not for all the browsers)
About MPV, there are probably some customers with legasy iOS devices which does not support WebRTC at all, in that case WSPlayer only can be used.
For those clients, transcoding will be enabled on server. To decrease server load, you can use lower playback resolution to 480p for example.
480p would be very low res for us to stream..server is hardly doing anything while it's on.. we can increase the memory or cup there if that would help
Now, you have 8 CPU cores (15 with hyperthreading enabled). We recommend you to upgrade server to 16-32 CPU cores.
If there are many VP8 and WSPlayer clients, consider to use CDN:
  • 1 Origin server to publish the stream
  • 1 Transcoder stream to transcode it for viewers who cannot play H264
  • 1 Edge server to play the stream
In this case, H264 subscribers should play the stream from Edge server by its name, and VP8 subscribers should play the stream by profile, for example streamName-vp8. The profile should be like this:
Code:
-vp8:
 audio:
  codec: opus
 video:
  codec: vp8
For MPV subscribers profile should look like this
Code:
-mpv:
 audio:
  codec: alaw
 video: