Cannot detect microphone when no video device

neogeo

The flashphoner js library fails to detect the microphone where the computer does not have a video device.

Here are the test results:

I run the test.webrtc.org

Then I run the streamer example and when I click on the Start Chrome 69 reports "Requested device not found"

But, when I run the following javascript code to enumerate the device it returns them successfully:

Code:
navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices()
.then(function(devices) {
devices.forEach(function(device) {
console.log(device.kind + ": " + device.label +
" id = " + device.deviceId);
});
})
.catch(function(err) {
console.log(err.name + ": " + err.message);
});
Here is the screenshot:

upload_2018-9-20_13-22-59.png

This topic is the sequel of this: https://forum.flashphoner.com/threads/mic-detection-fails-on-mac.11651/

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
We reproduced this issue and will work on it (internal case WCS-1492). We will let you know when fix it.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello.
In latest builds, we can't reproduce the problem, even on PC without real camera. So, update to latest version from this page and check again, please.

neogeo

This is not a server side issue. It is a problem with the flashphoner.js library as far as I understand. And in any case, I have tested again with 0.5.28.2747 - 5.1.3539 and the same problem persists.

Last edited:

neogeo

Sorry, I copied pasted the versions from a wrong demo server by mistake. I tested with the latest version and the problem still persists. We test on a laptop which has a key that disables the webcam, on hardware level I suppose.

upload_2018-9-27_13-23-28.png

neogeo

On the other hand, the Media Devices example works fine, it was displaying "Failed to get media devices" error message previously.
Maybe I am testing wrongly because the Streamer example might require a webcam to be present in order to stream, thus it fails.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
the Streamer example might require a webcam to be present in order to stream
Yes, the Streamer example and Two Way Streaming example requires at least one camera to be present, so they will not work on PC without any cameras.
The Media Devices example lists all video and audio devices because it demonstrates how to select one of them. That's why we use this example to check any problems with devices detection.
So, in your case, for clients devices that might have no cameras but microphone only, you should use in your scripts same approach that used in Media Devices script.