Server performance - MCU

DanieleVAssalli

Hello and thanks again for your patience.
I have not found anything in the documentation.
I wanted to know:
1) I can know the performances for the MCU mode.
2) Once mixed, can streaming be forwarded to another server?

Thanks again.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.

1) I can know the performances for the MCU mode.
MCU mode is a stream mixer function allowing to implement audio/video conference. The stream mixing requires transcoding to decode and mix streams, that in turn requires a lot of CPU resources, approximately 1 CPU core per 2 720p streams encoding. Therefore if you plan to use 720p mixer output stream you will need as many CPU cores as conference rooms will be simultaneously used, plus some CPU cores to decode participants streams. Some typical use case recommendations are described here.
Note that incoming stream quality can affect mixer output stream. So you should use lower stream resolution/bitrate for participants with poor channel to eliminate packet losses. There are some mixer tweaks to improve quality in this case.
2) Once mixed, can streaming be forwarded to another server?
Yes, the mixer output stream can be republished to another RTMP server, can be played from WCS as RTSP or RTMP or distributed over CDN.

DanieleVAssalli

So to create a multi party app, it becomes very expensive.
We currently have around 30 rooms with 8 webcams per room.
We are managing everything with 3 adobe media servers and single streaming. We were looking for a valid alternative, advice? solution?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We currently have around 30 rooms with 8 webcams per room.
In this case, we recommend you to consider:
- use lower mixer output resolution (up to 480p)
- use more than one server with load balancing by CPU load to distribute rooms between them. There is load balancing solution for AWS instances for example, but you should be aware all the certain room participants connect to the same server. You can check current load and recources information as described here.