Low volume of broadcast

Ney

When we are viewing someone’s broadcast then even on full volume the sound is very low. It feels like the sound is coming out of the earphone speaker rather than the handsfree speaker.

I had tried
setLoudspeakerStatus function to make loud speaker enable but it does not have any effect on broadcast.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Please provide more information:
1. How do you stream(publish)? What is stream source? Version? OS?
2. How do you play stream? What is player? Version? OS?
3. What is server version.
Please instruct us how can we reproduce the behavior step-by-step.
I had tried setLoudspeakerStatus function to make loud speaker enable but it does not have any effect on broadcast.
The issue looks in the microphone, not in the loud speaker.

Ney

1. using Java Script SDK (Through web) SDK version:3.4.0
2. I am using iOS SDK to play the video.
3. v. 0.5.22.2357 - 5.0.2397

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Tried iOS SDK demo examples on iPad 3 (iOS 9.3.5) and iPhone 5s (iOS 11.2.1). Without headset, volume is low on iPhone but volume level becomes acceptable if turn on loudspeaker as in MediaDevices example.

Ney

Hi Max
I am already using the same method that you had provided in last comment dated Dec 20, the same method in mentioned in original thread message.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

As mentioned in the previous message, turning on loudspeaker did have effect for iPhone; and on iPad (no loudspeaker) volume was not low.

Please clarify if turning on loudspeaker has no effect at all, or it has some effect but volume still remains too low.
Also, please provide this information
- What is stream source? OS, browser, media provider (WebRTC, RTMP, or RTMFP), audio codec.
- What iOS device is used for playback? Model and iOS version.
- Does the iOS device have low volume in other cases?

Ney

Hi Max,

We are able to hear but the volume still remains too low. The sound is only coming out of the speakers positioned at top of the iPhone. There is no sound coming out of the loud speakers positioned at the bottom of the iPhone. (Sidenote: When we play a video on youtube, the sound comes out of both the top and bottom of the speakers.) On this same iOS device when we play the recording of this broadcast by saving it to Camera Roll, we hear the sound perfectly. Or when we play the live broadcast or the recording through our web implementation, again the sound is perfect. But while playing this same broadcast (in live as well as recorded mode) through the iOS SDK, the sound volume is too low.

- What is stream source? OS, browser, media provider (WebRTC, RTMP, or RTMFP), audio codec. - We are streaming from an iOS SDK using WebRTC media provider. I'll let you know the audio codec used ASAP!
- What iOS device is used for playback? Model and iOS version.- iPhone 7, running 10.3.3. We have tested it on iPhone 7 running more updated iOS version and on iPhone X also with same results.
- Does the iOS device have low volume in other cases? - The device does not have any volume issues other than this. Also as aforementioned, if we save the same recording's video locally on the same iOS device and play it, the sound is perfect.

We need to get this resolved immediately. Is it possible to get on a call? Thanks for all your help!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello
As we can't reproduce reported behavior on our environment, please provide instructions how to test your app.
1. How to get your iOS application.
2. How to run broadcast from your website.
3. How to play the broadcast in your app.
4. SSH access to your server to check logs and configuration.
Once we have all these details, we will able to make a test fully in your environment to reproduce the issue on our devices.
Please send these details to logs@flashphoner.com
We need to get this resolved immediately. Is it possible to get on a call?
We don't provide such kind of support on the default level (forum support).
To extend support level, please contact sales@flashphoner.com

Ney

Ok, we will send you a DIAWI build to install our iOS app. I need UDID of 2 iOS devices. You can use one to publish and another to subscribe. Once I have these UDIDs, I can get them added and generate a new build so you'll be able to install and check. I'll send you 2 videos showing how to publish and subscribe using this app. I sent an email to logs@flashphoner.com requesting the same. You can provide me the UDIDs here or by replying to that email.

Thanks!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We are streaming from an iOS SDK using WebRTC media provider.
Recently we tested Web SDK to iOS SDK case.
If your case is iOS SDK to iOS SDK, the issue can be linked with publisher's microphone on publishing iOS app.
So we have to re-test iOS to iOS case.
Please provide SSH access to your server.
Then we will be able to test with your server version if it is not reproduced with ours.

Ney

I will send you the SSH access on email.

The low volume issue while viewing a live broadcast or its recording on iOS SDK is there whether we publish via iOS SDK or Web SDK.

I am not sure if the problem is in publisher's microphone.

Let's take the case of publishing via iOS SDK. I started a live broadcast on iOS SDK and subscribed to it on another iOS SDK as well as on the Web SDK. On iOS SDK the volume is low (no sound coming out of speakers at the bottom). On Web SDK, I can hear the sound perfectly. -- If the issue was in publisher's microphone, we should face the same volume problem on the Web SDK too. Furthermore, after the broadcast ends, I downloaded the recording of the broadcast to my iOS device and saved it to camera roll. When I play this recording, the volume is perfect. But when I play this same recording on the same device via iOS SDK, again the volume issue is there. So it would seem the problem is in iOS SDK subscriber end, no?

Thanks!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Tried the MediaDevices example on iPhone 5s (iOS 11.2.1) with your server: turning on loudspeaker works - sound is coming from loudspeakers positioned at the bottom of the iPhone.
Please build iOS examples according to this instruction to try the MediaDevices example on your device. Please notify if the issue would occur with the example application.

Ney

Hi Max

How can we achieve the same with Android SDK? I had checked the Stream Class, but there is no method to turn on the loud speaker as iOS SDK has