minimal webrtc check

SLM

Do you have a minimal javascript function to check whether or not the browser someone is using supports playing a webrtc stream? A standard webrtc check always fails on iOS but playing a stream is still possible because you have implemented another way to play those streams. I do not want to load the entire flashphoner javascript library (500k - 1mb) just to check it. Our mobile website that uses WC5 only loads scripts as needed, so if you could provide us with a basic function to test this capability, it would be much appreciated. It doesn't matter if that check would be 80% accurate in positives (the flashphoner.init would serve as the final check), as long as it's 100% accurate in negatives and so reduces inital pageload and increases initial pagespeed.

I also have a question regarding resolutions and resizing/transcoding. It seems that if the player is sized differently than the stream, some transcoding occurs. I want to resize the video-element on the player without impacting the stream or bandwidth either negatively or positively. For example: if the player on a webpage requests a 320x240 stream and the user flips his phone to display the site vertically making the video element half it's original size, there should not be any difference in the requested stream. How can I achieve this?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
minimal javascript function to check
We will check what we can do to provide such quick check.

I also have a question regarding resolutions and resizing/transcoding.
We have discussed similar issue here:
http://forum.flashphoner.com/threads/two-streams-on-safari.10866/#post-12515
Code:
It seems that if the player is sized differently than the stream, some transcoding occurs.
You have to pass 0x0 resolution to avoid server-side transcoding.
If you pass 320x240, your stream will be transcoded and rescaled to 320x240.
Using resize() function you can adjust aspect ratio as described here.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding WebRTC check.
WCS SDK has three media providers:
  1. WebRTC
  2. Flash
  3. Websocket
WebRTC has higher priority.

Each provider has own JavaScript file
webrtc-media-provider.js
flash-media-provider.js
websocket-media-provider.js

And each of js files has method available();
WebRTC
Code:
var available = function () {
    return (adapter.browserDetails.browser != "edge") ? navigator.getUserMedia && RTCPeerConnection : false;  
};
Flash
Code:
var available = function() {
    return swfobject.hasFlashPlayerVersion("11.2.0");
};
Websocket
Code:
var available = function(audioContext){
    return (audioContext) ? true : false;
};
As you can see, we check this:
Code:
navigator.getUserMedia && RTCPeerConnection
and if it returns true and browser is not MS Edge, we detect WebRTC support.

Regarding Flash and Websocket media providers, it is bit complex because it uses swfobject and audioContext objects.