Hardware requirements for 30 simultaneous conference

Lee

Hi:

I need to know the minimum hardware requirements for 30 simultaneous stream conference room.
It will be 1x1 conference room with video and audio and need to record all.
Banwidth, cpu, memory.

Thank you.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello.
Please clarify: do you plan to use 30 conference rooms with 2 participants (1x1) each running simultaneously, or one conference room with 30 participants?
One room with 2 participants means 2 streams per each participant, so server should handle 30 publishers and 30 subscribers. If stream parameters (resolution, bitrate, codec) would not change, stream transcoding is not required (but sound transcoding can work for stream recording), and 16 CPU cores with 64 Gb RAM can be enough. Server bandwidth should be 10 Gbit to fit every stream resolution.
A conference room with 30 participants means 60 streams per each participant (one publishing stream and one playing). This requires at least 18 Mbps bandwith (suppose every stream is 240p with bitrate 300 kbps) from client to server, so it will not work properly form mobile users. A giant conference room can be build on RoomApi for audio only, this reduces required bandwidth to acceptable (but it still will not work for 2G mobile users). Also you can build 30 participants conference using stream mixer with MCU support enabled, in this case transcoding will be used on server, and hardware requirements depend on streams count and resolution (usually 1 CPU core per 2 720p incoming streams), so we suppose at least 32 CPU cores and 96 Gb RAM server with 10 Gbit bandwith.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
30 rooms with 2 participants each.
Ok, let's sum the recommendations.
Without transcoding, 16 CPU cores with 64 Gb RAM shoud be enough. Server bandwidth should be 10 Gbit.
If transcoding is needed, we suppose at least 32 CPU cores and 96 Gb RAM server.

Lee

Thanks Max:

By the way, what do you mean: transcoding?
Other question:
Do I need to have 2 licenses if I use same server with 2 domains? Same service.

Rgds

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Transcoding - conversion - decoding and then encoding in case target stream parameters (resolution, bitrate, codec) are different from those of the original stream (here is described when transcoding is used).

Do I need to have 2 licenses if I use same server with 2 domains?
One license.