How to reduce loading time at client side?

Timb

I'm currently experiencing 3-6 seconds for the video to really start streaming.
VF: MSE
Event: Established > loading for 3-6 seconds > start streaming

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

Please let know the following details
- WCS and Web SDK versions
- How the stream is published (media provider - WebRTC, RTMP, RTSP; source - browser or encoder) and its resolution
- Which browser is used for playing as MSE
- Is there the same delay if other - e.g., WebRTC - media provider is used for playback
Try playing with mseCutByIFrameOnly option: https://WCS:8444/client2/examples/d...240&mediaProvider=MSE&mseCutByIFrameOnly=true
In case the stream is published as WebRTC, try with this setting
Code:
periodic_fir_request=true
enabled for keyframe requests.

Timb

Hi Max,
1. WCS and Web SDK versions
WebCallServer v5.2.515
WebSDK v0.5.28.2753.132

2. Allow me to explain my situation with more details:
The experiences I have were when I started the live streaming as a client on website using MSE and WSPlayer (not using WebRTC) form the video streaming from dark screen until start playing it took around 3-6 seconds minimum for loading.
I wanted to reduce the loading time at client side, wish to get help and advice to resolve this.

- How the stream is published (media provider - WebRTC, RTMP, RTSP; source - browser or encoder) and its resolution
resolution 1280x720, stream published using websocket to browser.
- Which browser is used for playing as MSE
Chrome, Window Edge (both are latest version)
- Is there the same delay if other - e.g., WebRTC - media provider is used for playback
Not tested.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

WSPlayer is not recommended for playing high resolution stream without transcoding to lower resolution. When WSPlayer is used, video is decoded with JavaScript; with higher resolution resources consumption increases, and that may result in video freezes or delay.
For MSE, such delay - 3-6 seconds - is acceptable.
Try using WebRTC.

Timb

Thanks Max, however our business logic still not allow us to fully utilize WebRTC yet, due to we need to support bunch of old PC users. That's why we are seeking solution in between of MSE(top) and WSPlayer(second).

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello.
That's why we are seeking solution in between of MSE(top) and WSPlayer(second).
Using WSPlayer for stream resolution above 640X480 requires transcoding on server, approximately 1 CPU core per 2 720p streams published. So WSPlayer may require server upgrade.
our business logic still not allow us to fully utilize WebRTC yet, due to we need to support bunch of old PC users
Please consider client browser detection on frontend to switch medaiprovider to WebRTC for browsers which support it. Then you can fallback to MSE if needed.
Another option is to use HLS for old PC users, they will have more delay but less server CPU consumption.