Mic detection fails on Mac

neogeo

We have users reporting that when trying to broadcast through Chrome 69 on Mac it won't detect the microphone devices.

We cannot test at the moment as we do not have a Mac device at hand. Is it possible for you to test?

neogeo

I have more details on this. It is not related with Mac or Chrome, the latest js library fails to detect the devices.

Here is what I see on the flashphoner test pages.

When I run the native javascript code to enumerate the devices it lists them correct but the flashphoner.js fails to detect them.

I think this computer does not have any webcam attached to it, maybe this affects the detection somehow.

Attachments

neogeo

Some more details. The problem is related with the absence of a video input device.

When I block access to the webcam the mic detection work fine.

Btw, I remember I had reported the same issue in the past which got fixed but somehow it come back again.

Attachments

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Let me resume the issue:
1. You have a computer with a microphone but without webcam.
2. You open Media Devices example and all found microphones are listed properly.
3. When you are trying to publish audio-only (unchecked Send Video) stream with selected microphone, it does not work.
Please confirm. We will check.

neogeo

1. Correct.
2. No. I open the Media Devices example and it says "Failed to get media devices" as it appears in the screenshot above.
3. Not exactly. When I block the Camera access from Chrome the microphones are detected.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Do you open Media Devices example through HTTP (9091) or HTTPS (8888)? The "Failed to get media device" message appears in Safari on Mac when Media Devices page is opened through HTTP or HTTPS with self-signed sertificates. Seems like it concerns Chrome 69 too. We tested this page on Chrome 69 on Mac through port 9091, and it displays same message, but trough port 8888 with Comodo cerificates devices are detected and example works perfect.
So, you have to setup SSL certificates on server, and Mac users have to broadcast through HTTPS (8443 for Secure Websoccket).

neogeo

I was on https 8888 with Comodo SSL. I tested it on Chrome 69 on Windows, not Mac. We had several reports from various clients. The one who gave me remote access to test was with Windows. So, it is not related with Mac only.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Try to update WCS to the latest version from this page. In our tests Media Devices sample in Chrome 69 works correctly with this version through HTTPS.