Mixer feature request

Evgenii

Good day. Reading over the docs I found you can put stream labels when mixing multiple streams, but current placement is quite restricted. Can it be possible to put label above the video? That is - outside of video boundary rectangle itself. Or even just by providing explicit X,Y coordinates.

Another thing - can it be possible to pass label of stream explicitly and not always use stream name? In my use case, name of stream being mixed and the label I want to display while mixing are totally different. There are /mixer/startup and /mixer/add REST api calls, it would be nice if it was possible to pass label to be used instead of stream name there.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello

1. Regarding label position.

Assume we use default CenterNoPaddingGridLayout.

mixer-centergridlayout.png

As you can see there is no place to move label outside of video frame. So moving labels would require full layout implementation. It is quite complex operation. That's why we keep labels inside of layout's frame and it looks like in other popular conferencing solutions.

image2020-6-10_10-32-31.png

If you provide sketch of your ideal layout and tell us how it should look on any number of streams in range [1..30], we will think about implementation. For now labels are hold inside of frame.

2. Regarding custom labels. Good request. Raised internal ticket WCS-2937. Will keep you informed.

Evgenii

Thanks for the ticket. As for the layout: my idea is similar to adding padding on top of the stream rectangle, or alternatively treat a "cell" where video rectangle should be placed to have a bit more height on the top side. In that reserved space on top of video rectangle the label could be placed. In your sample layout it's possible to add padding between top and bottom rows and place labels there, for example. It's probably (didn't try) possible to implement such layout with padding using "Custom mixer layout implementaiton" with java class, however as I undestand - label position is fixed (or at least quite restricted) and cannot be changed using that custom layout java class. If it was possible to also set label position in that same implementation of `IVideoMixerLayout`.computeLayout` - that would be really nice.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the ticket. As for the layout: my idea is similar to adding padding on top of the stream rectangle, or alternatively treat a "cell" where video rectangle should be placed to have a bit more height on the top side. In that reserved space on top of video rectangle the label could be placed.
We raised internal ticket WCS-2939.
label position is fixed (or at least quite restricted) and cannot be changed using that custom layout java class
Yes, for custom mixer layout a caption is a stream picture part.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
Since build 5.2.816 it is possible to display custom stream label in mixer instead of stream and room name.
A label should be set in stream name while publishing, for example
Code:
session.createStream({
    streamName: "test1#m1?label=John Doe",
    display: localDisplay,
}).publish();
Please read the details here
The ticket WCS-2939 is on pre-verification stage.