RTSP/websocket Inbound h264 stream

Mark Gamache

I need to publish a stream to FlashPhoner from an RTSP client. I do this today with Wowza. I know that you can publish a stream from an RTSP server, but I don't know how to publish via RTSP record command (where the stream is initiated from the camera end). As an alternative, I could also publsih raw h264 nal units via a web socket or tcp socket. How can I do this with FlashPhoner?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Web Call Server works in client(initiator) mode:

Therefore your camera is a server.
WCS is an RTSP client.
WCS does RTSP PLAY to get a stream from your camera.

Regarding the RECORD method:
As I see from the RFC2326,
10.11 RECORD
This method initiates recording a range of media data according to
the presentation description. The timestamp reflects start and end
time (UTC). If no time range is given, use the start or end time
provided in the presentation description. If the session has already
started, commence recording immediately.
So it seems the RECORD method is not linked with initiation from the camera end.
Please attach a traffic dump how it works for you with Wowza. We will analyse it.
Code:
tcpdump -s 4096 -w log.pcap
I could also publsih raw h264 nal units via a web socket or tcp socket. How can I do this with FlashPhoner?
Currently WCS does not support direct streaming. But we can add this. Please describe how are you going to push the stream. We will test it on our end.

Mark Gamache

Using web sockets I might send a sdp followed by a series of h264 NAL packets (or RTP Frames). It could also be some type of RTP receiver. It's just that publishing my stream to a Wowza server just so I can grab it using your product for a peer-to-peer interaction seems silly. Thanks for your response.

Mark Gamache

I could not upload the sample so here's a link:

http://hcview.s3.amazonaws.com/RTSP record sample.zip

just edit the config file to point to your wowza server (turn off all authentication requirements for recording on your endpoint)
It will use the first webcam and webcam settings it finds to publish a h264/aac stream to wowza via rtsp. Also, you might need to install VC++ 2015 run-time (but you probably have that installed)

Max

Administrator
Staff member
just so I can grab it using your product for a peer-to-peer interaction seems silly
WCS currently does not support the peer-to-peer model.
So even if you publish a stream to WCS, you will able to deliver this stream as WebRTC (it will play in Chrome, Firefox, Opera and other WebRTC browsers without Flash Player or plugins), however it won't be a peer-to-peer streaming, you just deliver the stream as WebRTC (UDP).
By the way, you can use an RTMP encoder (RTMP client) to push your stream to WCS server.
We plan to check your app tomorrow.

Mark Gamache

Yes, I am okay with a server distributed stream (we do this with Wowza today). A better way to say what I mean is, using Wowza as a relay only is silly.

My unique application requires that I package h264 nal units for streaming. I use the StreamCoders library for this purpose with Wowza. I have not seen a library that allows me to wrap the h264 stream for RTMP publishing. If you know of any for .net or Android (I use Xamarin, but java libs mostly work) please let me know.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying this app on Windows 10
It does not work for me
File Not Found Exception, can't load MediaSuite.dll
I just have unzipped this and copied to C:/tmp dir.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I installed the MS package before testing. The same error.
Could you make this test with Wowza and attach pcap file
You can capture the traffic using Wireshark.