Issues Testing WCS on Google Cloud Platform

Taylor

Hello

I've been following the Flashphoner document here with regards to deploying and testing a WCS on the Google Cloud Platform.

Following the instructions in the document I managed to start up a WCS and log into it however when I tested the streaming functionality it returned with an instant failed status.

I followed the document almost precisely, with these few exceptions:
  • Changed the machine series to 'n1-standard-2' instead of 'n1-standard-1'
  • Left the Security and Networking tabs alone, as the default configurations would I believe work fine.
I used the latest version of the WCS: 5.2.1140.

I am able to successfully log in to the web interface and access the demo pages, as well as create a session connection.

However when I try to start publishing a stream, it immediately fails and triggers the callback.
In addition when I modified the code slightly to see the return values of both stream.getInfo() and stream.getErrorInfo() on the failed status callback they both returned 'undefined'.

One other possible issue could be due to licensing. When I activated the license it seemed to be successful and even when I check it in the web interface it says it is activated, but it also shows an expiry date of mid 2019.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Taylor Grey

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
One other possible issue could be due to licensing. When I activated the license it seemed to be successful and even when I check it in the web interface it says it is activated, but it also shows an expiry date of mid 2019.
This may be a known interface bug. It's ok if there are no messsages about licence expiration in server logs.
However when I try to start publishing a stream, it immediately fails and triggers the callback.
Please provide SSH access to the instance using this form.

Taylor

Hi Max

After following your advice, I checked the server logs and found these error logs regarding the license expiration:
Code:
00:21:57,651 ERROR         MediaHandler - main publishStream exception
com.flashphoner.server.license.manager.exception.LicensePeriodIsExpired
        at com.flashphoner.server.license.manager.A.A.F.check(Unknown Source)
        at com.flashphoner.server.license.manager.LicenseManager.check(Unknown Source)
        at com.flashphoner.server.client.handler.wcs4.media.MediaHandlerUtils.createMediaSession(Unknown Source)
        at com.flashphoner.server.client.handler.wcs4.media.MediaHandler.publishStream(Unknown Source)
Thank you for your help.

Taylor

Hi Max

After resolving the license issue I've been able to successfully deploy and test the media servers on the Google Cloud Platform.

However I encountered another issue where the 'webcallserver' service doesn't start when I try starting back up the VM instance.

When I use the Google Cloud Console to start back up a Web-Call Server (after shutting it down through the console), the 'webcallserver.service' isn't listed in the `systemctl list-units` output and I need to SSH into the server to start it.

I didn't have this problem on the first deployed WCS in the Google Cloud Platform but afterwards every other WCS I deploy seems to have this issue, even when I try mimicking the first deployment.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Taylor

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

When WCS is being installed, there is the question: "Do you want to start WebCallServer at server startup?" The service is enabled, if 'yes' is selected.
`systemctl status webcallserver` can be used to check if the service is enabled.
For automatic startup at boot, enable the service if it is disabled
Code:
sudo systemctl enable webcallserver

Taylor

Hi Max

Thank you. Enabling the webcallserver service fixed the issue and the service now automatically starts up with the server.

I was using `install.sh -silent` for most of the deployments so I likely only used non-silent installation in the first deployment and forgot about it afterwards.

Once again thank you.