Reduce Latency of HLS/M3U8 Live Streaming Playback via Flashphoner/Other Tech

Hello,

I am pretty noob about how Flashphoner works so my request could make no sense but i just want to ask this question, i am able to reduce latency of rtmp/rtsp links by playing them through WCS5 Server (something like this link - https://demo.flashphoner.com:8888/e...demo&mediaProviders=WebRTC,Flash,MSE,WSPlayer)

But now i need to reduce latency of HLS/M3U8 Link/Streaming, link like say as extracted from youtube live video using FFMpeg or any other live streaming M3U8 link as captured from various websites/apps.

Any help in this regard will be helpful to me. Thanks.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
But now i need to reduce latency of HLS/M3U8 Link/Streaming, link like say as extracted from youtube live video using FFMpeg or any other live streaming M3U8 link as captured from various websites/apps.
HLS provides latency up to 20 seconds due to protocol nature. There is also Low Latency HLS protocol, but this implementation in WCS is on beta stage.
To reduce HLS playback latency, you can try to:
1. Use shorter segment size:
Code:
hls_time=2
hls_time_min=1000
2. Use in-memory segments storage (this requires more server memory and Java heap memory)
Code:
hls_store_segment_in_memory=true
Please also note that FPS and keyframe interval in a stream should be even (for example, 30 fps, 60 GOP) for smoother playback.

Good day.

HLS provides latency up to 20 seconds due to protocol nature. There is also Low Latency HLS protocol, but this implementation in WCS is on beta stage.
To reduce HLS playback latency, you can try to:
1. Use shorter segment size:
Code:
hls_time=2
hls_time_min=1000
2. Use in-memory segments storage (this requires more server memory and Java heap memory)
Code:
hls_store_segment_in_memory=true
Please also note that FPS and keyframe interval in a stream should be even (for example, 30 fps, 60 GOP) for smoother playback.
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

Sorry i forgot to tell that i am not able to play m3u8 links/hls via Flashphoner by setting streamName to m3u8 link in this type of link (embed player) (https://demo.flashphoner.com:8888/e...demo&mediaProviders=WebRTC,Flash,MSE,WSPlayer)

What i did is extract youtube live m3u8 link locally at the server using youtube-dl library (so it can be played/accessible to the server as those links are generally binded to particular ip) and than play such m3u8 link via Flashphoner above mentioned link (set streamName as m3u8 link in URL). It is failing for some reason or maybe m3u8 links cant be played with Flashphoner this way just like i do for rtmp/rtsp links which plays this way with reduced latency.

I am open for paid help if anybody knows about this thing and can do the job. All i need is to play m3u8 links with reduced latency maybe something like we play rtmp/rtsp links with FlashPhoner embed link like above.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
What i did is extract youtube live m3u8 link locally at the server using youtube-dl library (so it can be played/accessible to the server as those links are generally binded to particular ip) and than play such m3u8 link via Flashphoner above mentioned link (set streamName as m3u8 link in URL). It is failing for some reason or maybe m3u8 links cant be played with Flashphoner this way just like i do for rtmp/rtsp links which plays this way with reduced latency.
WCS does not support publishing via HLS, so you have to publish a stream via RTMP or RTSP.
Another option is to capture stream from Youtube to a local file on server, than play this file as VOD stream.

WCS does not support publishing via HLS, so you have to publish a stream via RTMP or RTSP.
Another option is to capture stream from Youtube to a local file on server, than play this file as VOD stream.
Will this play youtube live video (from its m3u8) with reduced latency ? Because ultimate goal is to reduce latency of m3u8/hls live streaming.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Will this play youtube live video (from its m3u8) with reduced latency ? Because ultimate goal is to reduce latency of m3u8/hls live streaming.
No. You can only add latency, but not reduce it less then youtube already provides.