RTSP Proxy

ttwin

We have a requirement to implement RTSP camera proxy (Play RTSP input camera using RTSP player like VLC, Quick Time, etc,). We use "/rtsp/startup" API to start RTSP stream and we can play RTSP input stream using Flashphoner player using WebRTC, RTMP,. etc but RTSP player such as VLC cannot play. I guess "/rtsp/startup" API only accept RTSP URL and cannot set stream name hence RTSP players have problem to play RTSP URL whose stream path/name is also RTSP URL such as "rtsp://[WCS IP]/rtsp://[Camera IP]/[stream name]". So I would like to suggest to allow to put the stream name in addition to stream URL in "/rtsp/startup" API.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Assigning an arbitrary name for an RTSP stream works like this:
1. Capture REST-query request RTSP stream from the camera.
REST-query:
Code:
rtsp/startup
Parameters of REST-query
Code:
{

"uri": "rtsp://176.62.177.193/live/ch00_0",

"toStream": "myRTSPstream1"

}
Where:
Uri – camera RTSP stream address;
toStream – name of the stream, which is captured by the RTSP stream from the camera.
1597077646218.png

2. Then we play the captured stream in the VLC player using a link of this type:
Code:
rtsp://demo.flashphoner.com/myRTSPstream1
1597077678124.png

3. RTSP stream is played in VLC player:
1597077711061.png

You can read more about capturing a stream from an RTSP camera here

randyisscott

I was working on an open-source project with my friends, so we sent out a prototype to some users, most of which were monocle users. Some of them reported that certain cameras (namely Foscam and ReoLink cameras) fail to work with their Alexa devices (Echo/FireTV) via Monocle even when the RTSP URL to the camera works perfectly via VLC, FFPLAY, IPCamViewer, or other software players. We have not yet pinpointed the exact cause for the incompatibility, but we do have a temporary workaround that in most cases will allow the Alexa devices to access their camera feeds. This workaround involves running a small RTSP proxy service/application locally on a computer in your network. Could this be similar to what is being discussed here? FYI: proxies.com, a proxy site I recommend.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I was working on an open-source project with my friends, so we sent out a prototype to some users, most of which were monocle users. Some of them reported that certain cameras (namely Foscam and ReoLink cameras) fail to work with their Alexa devices (Echo/FireTV) via Monocle even when the RTSP URL to the camera works perfectly via VLC, FFPLAY, IPCamViewer, or other software players.
WCS requres x86-64 hardware or virtual Linux server to work, so it cannot run on devices you mentioned (perhaps they have ARM hardware platform). So you have to ask your questions in target devoces support forums, not here.