iOS15.1.1 websocket issue

djuka

Hi Max,

I have an issue with WebSocket communication with Safari client on iPhone 12 iOS 15.1.1. They have changed something in the new firmware version and now WebSocket connection drops immediately after the connection started. I found some solution on the net and it reflects to disable WebSocket compression. Where I can disable that in Flashphoner?
Or maybe you already have a solution for this problem?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
Solved with updates on both sides, server, and client.
Yes, we can't reproduce the issue using the latest WCS build 5.2.1105 and latest WebSDK build 2.0.206: websocket connection is establishing correctly from iPhone 7, iOS 15.1. Usually, update to the latest build is the first step to check if the issue still persists.

djuka

Just to inform you: the issue is still present in the stream recorder with IOS 15.1.1. It is not present in Media device manager when I check CVO. But when I use stream recorder and set cvoExtension: true it does not fail but recording on iPhone 12 is rotated 90 deg. I have 2.0.206 on the server and 5.2.1105 on the device. The only way I succeed to make stream recording works is using canvas. But it lacks framerate and the quality is not so good. Just to mention, it only happens with iPhone devices with IOS 15.1.1 but not with 15.1. Do you have any solution?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Just to inform you: the issue is still present in the stream recorder with IOS 15.1.1. It is not present in Media device manager when I check CVO. But when I use stream recorder and set cvoExtension: true it does not fail but recording on iPhone 12 is rotated 90 deg. I have 2.0.206 on the server and 5.2.1105 on the device. The only way I succeed to make stream recording works is using canvas. But it lacks framerate and the quality is not so good. Just to mention, it only happens with iPhone devices with IOS 15.1.1 but not with 15.1. Do you have any solution?
This is a known iOS Safari issue which should be fixed in 15.2 (read details here, p. 17). A workaround with orientation bit enabling is useful only for stream playback via WebRTC in browser which supports this. For example, you can reproduce the issue in AppRTC with Firefox browser on other side: Safari page will crash after publishing.
So the only workaround is to use VP8 to publish a stream.

djuka

Using VP8 does not fix the issue. Also, AppRTC works fine on iPhone IOS 15.1.1 without any issue, both on Firefox and Safari. How do they do it?

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Also, AppRTC works fine on iPhone IOS 15.1.1 without any issue, both on Firefox and Safari. How do they do it?
Firefox should be on other side: iOS Safari - Win Firefox for example
In iOS, all the browsers are just Safari wrappers.

djuka

I have now a problem with IOS 15.1 too. When I use appr.tc that works fine on all versions of iPhone firmware, 15.1, 15.1.1, but not with flashphoner. I also check OpenVidu demo and it works also. Only flashphoner does not work. Do you have a solution? I bought a license and need to have a streaming server working.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a solution?
Please look at those buugs description: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=232381 https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=231505
The only 100% working solution is to use VP8 for publishing/playing.
Another solution which AppRTC uses is to enable screen orientation support
Code:
cvoExtension: true
You should also update WCS to latest build or disable RTP bundles support if you prefer this solution
Code:
rtp_bundle=false
But in this case, stream recording, or RTMP republishing, or WebRTC playback in browser which does not support screen orientation extension will be in wrong orientation.
So we recommend VP8.