audio not working when using Safari and Web SDK (Firefox and Chrome are fine)

Hello

version: 5.2.780

I am using WebCallServer 5 (hosted on AWS) to broadcast a stream to a webapp.

The webapp uses the web sdk for the implementation of the audio/video stream.

This worlks fine in Chrome and Firefox (desktop and mobile), however on Safari the audio doesn't play but the video is shown.

The browser itself connects to the websocket, so what am i doing wrong here?

Best,
Thomas

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
If you're using autoplay, this requires user action to be performed in Safari browser (unmute audio). Unfortunately, there is no workaround.
If you do not using autoplay, please clarify your case:
- what Safari version do you use, on what device and OS?
- what Web SDK build do you use?
- what player do you use?
- is the problem reproduced in Player example shipped with WebSDK?

Hi

-WebSDK is 2.0.165
-The player is the self-developed one like in your example

-With Safari 14.0.1 on a Mac the audio plays but is scattered
-With Safari on an iPhone as soon as i click the "play" button, a new blank page is opened and i can hear the stream. This doesn't make any sense however since i need input from my webapp and as soon as i close the blank page, the stream is stopped again

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
-With Safari 14.0.1 on a Mac the audio plays but is scattered
This can be webkit bug playing Opus audio which seems to be fixed in safari 14.0.2
-With Safari on an iPhone as soon as i click the "play" button, a new blank page is opened and i can hear the stream. This doesn't make any sense however since i need input from my webapp and as soon as i close the blank page, the stream is stopped again
Plaese check if the issue is reproducing in Player example (source code on GitHub). If not, please modify the Player example source code minimally to reproduce the issue and send using this form.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Try to update to the latest version 5.2.910

1. Download to /tmp dir
2. Unzip
3. Run ./install.sh

If you have critical files on your version 780, do backup /usr/local/FlashphonerWebCallServer or install new version on a new host to avoid possible interuptions related update.

How do i do that? I run the predefined image on aws?

Regarding the iOS Safari playback issue, is this server-related or related to the client (and do i then have to update the client library in my package.json)?

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
How do i do that? I run the predefined image on aws?
The Marketplace AMI contains build 5.2.780. You can update it manually to the latest WCS build as described here
Regarding the iOS Safari playback issue, is this server-related or related to the client (and do i then have to update the client library in my package.json)?
Seems like this is frontend code issue. We recommend you to update Web SDK in your package.json to the latest build 2.0.165.
Also please check if your a using playFirstVideo function as described here, see also the code example.
If the issue still reproducing, please try to reproduce it in Player example as we recommended above. If it is not reproducing, please modify Player example code minimally to reproduce the issue and send the code using this form, we will check. You can also provide us SSH access to your server instance using this form, we will try to publish and play stream directly from your server.

Hi

I was able to fix the issue without updating either the WebCallServer or the WebSDK code. What i did is i used the preloading workaround (play a dummyfile first), then it also worked on the Safari in iOS (Safari on OS X was never the issue, there it worked but the audio is scattered -> other thread)

Thanks a lot :)