Flashphoner DNS issues ?

fleduc

hello we've been using flasphoner on a ubuntu vm for months now with no issue , then it stopped working for no apparent reasons. I tried to roll back to a previous snapshot, uninstall , reinstall with no success . I cannot find what prevented the service from running . We use it for rstp to webrtc only.
I finally restarted from scratch with the last build on a clean ubuntu 20.0.4 . My issue now is that I manage to playback local rtsp streams from a local network machine but as soon as I try to play our rtsp streams from our public domain adresse it fails . I can play them in VLC remotely and locally but not in flashphoner.
You may know the issue but personally after 1 day searching I cannot find the solution .

Thanks a lot

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
WCS always uses system DNS settings. So please check if RTSP stream domain name is correctly resolved from VM on which WCS is installed. Also please check if RTSP port is available from this VM by address which domain name is resolved to. For example? if RTSP stream is available by URL rtsp://my.stream.domain:554/live.sdp:
1. Ping the domain from VM:
Code:
ping my.stream.domain
If ping returns error, check VM DNS setup
2. If ping works correctly, check if port 554 can be connected from VM using netcat as described here
If nothing helps, collect a report as described here and send using this form
Or provide SSH access to the VM and RTSP URL using this form

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We checked your server.
The main problem is that domain name is resolved to VM local address:
1629789169179.png

But there are no RTSP sources on this host:
1629789448824.png

So WCS throws exception
Code:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
But, if you try to play RTSP stream by external IP to which the DNS name is resolved, it is connected and is played correctly:
Code:
09:02:07,252 INFO             RtspAgent - pool-42-thread-1 Public header: DESCRIBE, SETUP, PLAY, PAUSE, GET_PARAMETER, SET_PARAMETER, TEARDOWN, ANNOUNCE, OPTIONS
09:02:07,285 INFO          MediaHandler - pool-42-thread-1 publishStream arguments - Stream{mediaSessionId='179cf7b9-9d3c-4ebb-90ea-675c2614f5d5', remoteMediaElementId='null', name='rtsp://**.**.***.**:555/test', published=true, hasVideo=true, hasAudio=true, status=NEW, sdp='v=0
o=VNSDK 0 0 IN IP4 192.168.1.198
s=aja.sdp
c=IN IP4 192.168.1.198
t=0 0
r=0 0
m=video 0 RTP/AVP 96
a=rtpmap:96 H264/90000
a=control:trackID=1
a=fmtp:96 profile-level-id=4d4028; sprop-parameter-sets=J01AKIuVAPAET8v/gAgAB4gAAB9AAAYagwAAAwDPhQAAGfCje91p,KP4CuIA=;
m=audio 0 RTP/AVP 97
a=rtpmap:97 mpeg4-generic/48000
a=control:trackID=2
a=fmtp:97 streamType=5; profile-level-id=1;mode=AAC-hbr;sizelength=13;indexlength=3;indexdeltalength=3;config=1190
Also, we cannot play RTSP stream on your server via WebRTC because UDP media ports are not available from external networks
Code:
media_port_from        =31001
media_port_to          =32000
But we can play it using MSE through websocket which is available.

So we recommend to set up DNS resolver on WCS VM to resolve domain name to local RTSP source address (192.168.1.198 in log example above), or to resolve domain name to external address.

fleduc

Thanks Mark, that's kind of what I thought for the DNS issue. Any idea of what/how I did to make solve this domain as its local address instead of public domain ? it worked this way on the previous VM . For the NAT issues I'll check them again .

fleduc

i rolled back to the initial config which has been running smoothly for months. Could you please throw an eye on it and check where the issue could be ? Credentials are the same as before except it's the initially running VM not the one you checked a few hours back. Thanks a lot for your help .

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We checked the instance. The command
Code:
systemd-resolve --status
returns current DNS server address as 192.168.1.1:
1629869157441.png

Perhaps this is VM host. In this case domain name is resolved to external address, and WCS can correctly connect to RTSP sources by domain name.
Also, this parameter in WCS configuration file flashphoner.properties is good for the case:
1629869424050.png

Note that license key on the instance is expired, so you should update the license key to play streams.
You can update this WCS installation to the latest build, it should work too.
Please also see this article about DNS setup in Ubuntu.

fleduc

Hello,

Can you help me buy a new license with auto renewal.
I don't understand why the current license stopped...

Merci

fleduc

hello could you please throw an eye at the VM restored to when it worked ? you have the logins in previous exchanges. I cannot find why it does not work . License has been renewed . Thanks