Room Participant Control

Taylor

Hello Max

Regarding the Room API, is there a builtin way to disconnect/kick certain participants from a room (or even do it from the CLI over an SSH connection)?

The current implementation I have is to use the ROOM_EVENT.MESSAGE to handle certain commands, like 'Disconnect' to remove a given participant.

The worry however is that if a (malicious) user connects to a room outside of my implementation, I would have no way to kick them from that room.

Cheers

Taylor

Hey Max

Sorry to pester you, as I understand this question may have already been answered here:

I've been building an application and have implemented the Flashphoner SDK into it to use the Room API (conference).
Application framework I'm using is Angular 10.

We've had an issue recently where one of the rooms had participants that didn't leave.

We're fairly sure we closed all browsers that we were running the application, so as to kill any connections to the Web Call Server, however the room still seemed to have existing participants after joining back in.

I cannot be 100% sure if all of us closed our browsers safely or if the application is behaving weirdly (as we've had issues where JavaScript in an Angular Component continued running after that Component was destroyed).

So I was hoping to ask some questions about it:

Do you know if it's possible for a participant to somehow still be included in a room after they've closed the browser?

If a participant were to loose connection to a room (like their internet connection dropping), would the Web Call Server pick up on this and send the RoomEvent.Left message?

Is there currently a way to kick participants from a room or is this an upcoming feature (doesn't matter how, so long as participants can be removed from a room without restarting the Web Call Server)?

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
Do you know if it's possible for a participant to somehow still be included in a room after they've closed the browser?
This should not be possible. If this issue can be reproduced persistently, please collect a report as described here and send using this form
If a participant were to loose connection to a room (like their internet connection dropping), would the Web Call Server pick up on this and send the RoomEvent.Left message?
Yes, the event should be sent to all the participants if one of them clicks "Leave" or closes connection
Is there currently a way to kick participants from a room or is this an upcoming feature (doesn't matter how, so long as participants can be removed from a room without restarting the Web Call Server)?
Now, there is no such method.
We recommend you to migrate to MCU mixer based conference, in this case you have almost all the possibilities to manage room participants (add, remove, we also working on stream muting/unmuting feature).

Taylor

Cool, just wanted to make sure participant should behave like that. I'll keep an eye out but I do think it's my application being buggy.

Thank you so much Max, and thanks for the MCU mixer docs.