RTMP Pull video's Audio/Video breaking when added to mixer

Luca

Hi

After I pull an RTMP video from a Wowza server and add it to the mixer, the video and audio are breaking and they are almost unusable, is there anything specific I should do to make it work?

The Wowza and the WCS servers are on the same network so latency should not be an issue.

Here is a Loom video of the issue

Please let me know

Thank you in advance
Luca

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
We can't reprtoduce the issue in WCS latest build 5.2.1386: a pulled RTMP stream is playing with the same quality in mixer as directly played.
So try to update WCS, then please check if the pulled RTMP stream is playing smoothly directly from WCS. Please test in Media Devices example https://wcs:8444/client2/examples/demo/streaming/media_devices_manager/media_device_manager.html, and make sure Nack Count and Packet Lost counters are not grow. If they grow, this seems like player channel issue (between WCS and player), in this case switch to TCP transport and test again
1663032023276.png

If nothing helps, please provide an RTMP link for us to test using this form. The RTMP stream should be available 24/7.

Luca

Thank you Max, I have tried with the test page and the video is playing fine in the player, no packet loss or high nack count, I suspect there might be something with the video encoding, but I am not sure as we are using Vmix and a pretty standard encoding setting.

I have submitted the URL to the video and will be available for the next few days.

Please let me know how it goes
Thank you
Best
Luca

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We checked the stream. It has B-frames and AV synchronization problems:
1663073664017.png

Even in Player example it's jerking. Also, bitrate and FPS are jumping:
1663073866327.png

WCS does not support B-frames because Chrome still cannot play them smoothly. So the problem is in stream itself, not in mixer. You should reencode the stream to eliminate B-frames and to solve synchronization issues.

Luca

We checked the stream. It has B-frames and AV synchronization problems:
View attachment 3287
Even in Player example it's jerking. Also, bitrate and FPS are jumping:
View attachment 3288
WCS does not support B-frames because Chrome still cannot play them smoothly. So the problem is in stream itself, not in mixer. You should reencode the stream to eliminate B-frames and to solve synchronization issues.
Thank you Max

I have tried with two different encoding software (Vmix and OBS) and both of them produce the same outcome using very default settings, can you please suggest what tool you are using for the test?

Thank you
Luca

Max

Administrator
Staff member
OBS should be enough.
Max B-frames options should be set to 0.

NVIDIA

1663081039986.png

X264

1663081311259.png

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Please try to publish the stream from OBS with settings above to WCS directly
1663117713020.png

How it is playing as WebRTC in Media Devices example (Chrome browser)? If it is playing good, add it to mixer. Does it still playing good?
If both anwsers are yes, try to publish the stream with the same settings to your Wowza. Then, pull RTSP stream from Wowza to WCS in Media Devices example. Again, does it playing good? If not (video is jerking, bitrate value is jumping etc), this may be channel issue between Wowza and WCS, or Wowza settings issue. Please try to disable transcoding on Wowza in this case.
If nothing helps, please provide a stream URL to test available 24/7 using this form. Note that we probably raise the ticket in this case, and its resolution may take a time.

Luca

Please try to publish the stream from OBS with settings above to WCS directly
View attachment 3294
How it is playing as WebRTC in Media Devices example (Chrome browser)? If it is playing good, add it to mixer. Does it still playing good?
If both anwsers are yes, try to publish the stream with the same settings to your Wowza. Then, pull RTSP stream from Wowza to WCS in Media Devices example. Again, does it playing good? If not (video is jerking, bitrate value is jumping etc), this may be channel issue between Wowza and WCS, or Wowza settings issue. Please try to disable transcoding on Wowza in this case.
If nothing helps, please provide a stream URL to test available 24/7 using this form. Note that we probably raise the ticket in this case, and its resolution may take a time.
Thank you Max

When I stream directly to the WCS server everything is working perfectly fine so very likely is an issue with our wowza server that we need to check

On a similar note I am sending the RTMP stream to WCS from Vmix and its default settings, and its sending B-Frames, and still seems to be working perfectly fine.

Will add response to this thread if I have any further questions
Thank you
Best
Luca