ICE Timeout on AWS Marketplace AMI

Hi,

I am trying to stream in AWS EC2 by using Market place AMI (https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B07ZVRPH5G?qid=1599065528391&sr=0-1&ref_=srh_res_product_title). I can successfully publish stream but when I installed turnserver (coturn), I can't and it always fails with message "Failed by ICE Timeout"

I know it should be some ports block issue, but when I done the same WCS server setup (along with turnserver) in another EC2 by manually downloading the package it works perfectly.

The security groups and WCS build versions are same for both instances, but instance launched using marketplace AMI always fails with ICE timeout

1599065893172.png

I have sent an email with report logs of that instance, Please check

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
Unfortunately, we see the problem in logs, bu we cannot see the reason.
Please clarify the following:
- Does internal TURN server also not work? If yes, please check if TCP port 3478 is opened.
- Coturn server is installed on the same instance? If yes, please check if you test with relaying disabled
1599117194454.png
or, at code level, the parameter "iceTransportPolicy": "relay" is not used:
Code:
Flashphoner.createSession({urlServer: url, mediaOptions: {"iceServers": [ { 'url': 'turn:test.flashphoner.com:3478?transport=tcp', 'credential': 'coM77EMrV7Cwhyan', 'username': 'flashphoner' } ]}})
If this does not help, please provide us SSH access to the instance using this link.

Last edited:
- Does internal TURN server also not work? If yes, please check if TCP port 3478 is opened.
Yes, I am sure. TCP port 3478 is opened. But FYI, I am accessing the turnserver using load balancer from 443, where port 443 is pointed to 3479 which is the listening port of turnserver config file.

- Coturn server is installed on the same instance? If yes, please check if you test with relaying disabled
Yes, coturn is installed on the same server. I tried with disabling relay and it still not working.

FYI, the same thing is done on new instance where WCS is installed manually and it works well whereas it doen't with marketplace AMI.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
But FYI, I am accessing the turnserver using load balancer from 443, where port 443 is pointed to 3479 which is the listening port of turnserver config file.
This will not work properly in production. TURN server usage requires 2 ports to be forwarded simultaneously to the same instance behind the load balancer: WSS port (8443 for example) and TURN server port (3478 for example). But those are different entry points at load balancer point, so it can forward them to different instances.
Please try to deploy the separate TURN server which will not be behind load balancer.

I am using Classic Load Balancer where based on ports it will point to the respective instances behind it. FYI, this setup is currently in production well almost for 3 months and using the marketplace AMI breaks this.

I will share you the instance credentials in the mail so that you can look on that.

Hello Max,

I have sent an email with server credentials where instance is launched using Marketplace AMI.
Please share your IP so that I will open the SSH port.
Please check and let know if you have questions.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Good day.
We successfully published stream using credentials you provided
1599732766674.png

1599732680340.png
Please note that we do not use relay option:
- Using this code, stream is published
Code:
Flashphoner.createSession({
    urlServer: 'wss://webrtc-dev.********.***:8443',
    mediaOptions: {
        "iceServers": [{
        'url': 'turns:webrtc-dev.********.***:443?transport=tcp',
        'credential': 'coM77EMrV7Cwhyan',
        'username': 'flashphoner'       
        }]
    }
})
- Using this code, stream publishing is failed by ICE timeout
Code:
Flashphoner.createSession({
    urlServer: 'wss://webrtc-dev.**********.***:8443',
    mediaOptions: {
        "iceServers": [{
        'url': 'turns:webrtc-dev.*********.***:443?transport=tcp',
        'credential': 'coM77EMrV7Cwhyan',
        'username': 'flashphoner'       
        }],
        "iceTransportPolicy": "relay"
    }
})
When iceTransportPolicy: relay option is used, TURN server allows WebRTC connection to be established directly between publishing client and server. But it cannot be established because load balancer does not forward WebRTC UDP ports.
When this option is not used, as recommenede in the post above, client establishes connection with TURN server only, using its TCP port (443 in this case). TURN server connects to WCS using WebRTC UDP ports, and wraps all media traffic to one TCP connection which load balancer can easily forward.

Great Max, Apart from "iceTransportPolicy": "relay" is there any other changes done on the server?

And one more question, I have another server with latest WCS build which is installed manually and using coturn and LB setup similar to the server I shared.
Even when "iceTransportPolicy": "relay" is enabled, I can able to publish stream there but why it is not working in the server I shared.
Just to know the working logic behind both servers.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Apart from "iceTransportPolicy": "relay" is there any other changes done on the server?
No, we did not touch server setup.
And one more question, I have another server with latest WCS build which is installed manually and using coturn and LB setup similar to the server I shared.
Even when "iceTransportPolicy": "relay" is enabled, I can able to publish stream there but why it is not working in the server I shared.
We tested the case on our AWS instances: TURN server (internal and external on the same instance) works with relay policy disabled and does not work with relay policy enabled, both for manually deployed instance and AWS Marketplace one. Without load balancer, publishing and playing streams via TURN directly from server, we also got the same results.
So it seems like the issue may be in security group or iptables setup. This is even documented here.